Company:US3270 Sygma Kansas City, a Division of The Sygma Network, Inc
Minimum Level of Education:High School or Equivalent
Employment Type:Full Time
We offer our associates the opportunity to grow personally and professionally, to contribute to the success of a dynamic organization, and to serve others in a manner that exceeds their expectations. We’re looking for talented, hard-working individuals to join our team. Come grow with us and let us show you why Sysco is at the heart of food and service.
This position is responsible for supervising the yard management and guard shack activities related to inbound and outbound transportation traffic at the RDC. The position provides oversight to ensure proper procedures are followed in the check in- check out and vehicle monitoring activities for transportation related vehicles entering or exiting the facility, directed to-or present at the RDC yard and OTR yard. This position works as a liaison between warehouse operations and transportation departments and performs effective, timely communications to respective associates and management as necessary. Maintains and protects facility integrity and security. Performs all duties safely, accurately, and meets set productivity goals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Send/receive positive communication to the responsible associates.
- Oversee dedicated and one-way dispatch process to ensure timely departures.
- Oversee drop trailer program to ensure all standards and compliance criteria are being met.
- Oversee rework outbound trailers as needed to ensure proper weight distribution.
- Research and rectify seal discrepancies and other dispatch concerns.
- Check in rail cars and prepare the facility for their receipt.
- Oversee procedures for properly recording, monitoring, and directing placement of drop trailers in and out of the facility.
- Oversee procedures for properly recording, monitoring, and directing placement of dedicated carrier trailers in and out of the facility.
- Oversee procedures for properly recording, monitoring, and directing placement of one-way trailers in and out of the facility.
- Implement policies and procedures (Coaching Maximizing Performance Program, Preferred Work Methods, and Best Business Practices) to ensure associates are trained in safety, job knowledge, and attainment of performance standards.
- Monitor yard procedures to ensure that trailers are checked into the yard, in their assigned Warehouse Management location, and checked-out of the yard to attain the most efficient yard utilization.
- Plan, schedule (vacations, holidays, workers compensation and other shift fill-ins), and coordinate personnel needed to accomplish all yard management activities.
- Coordinate inbound rail receipts between railroad and the warehouse. Release empty railcars in a timely manner to reduce or eliminate demurrage expenses.
- Monitor work flow and balance staff between all work areas to maintain productivity and completion of all yard management tasks.
- Monitor associate’s work and perform associate evaluations on an on-going basis to coach them of expectations, reward above average performance, and identify and coach poor performance levels.
- Manage overtime by properly maintaining production standards and communicating when associates are available for other facility duties.
- Foster an environment that encourages associate involvement, commits to quality of work from self and others, and provides leadership for the mutual benefit of the company, customers, and associates.
- Ensure that all required associate records, evaluations, and related documentation are filed in a timely, consistent, and accurate manner.
- Act as a problem solver for associate relation issues and department needs.
- Responsible for appearance, maintenance, and security of guard house and equipment.
- Observe and enforce all safety rules in an effort to reduce accidents and injuries.
- Support the safety effort by participating on the safety committee and working with the safety and security manager to resolve safety issues.
- Ensure guard house computers and RF (radio frequency) equipment are used in a safe and professional manner.
- Understand and comply with all applicable company policies (i.e. attendance, Code of Business Conduct & Ethics, Associate Handbook, etc).
- Ensure compliance with all applicable State/Federal laws, regulations, and policies (i.e. OSHA (Occupational Safety & Health Admin., HACCP, AIB, etc).
- Accept additional responsibilities or special projects as requested.
Directly supervise 6-10 associates. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the Baugh Regional Distribution Center’s policies and procedures and applicable state and federal laws. Interview, hire, train, plan, assign and direct work and evaluate performance, reward, and coach subordinates.
Internal non-exempt associates must be in a lead position to qualify for the Supervisor position. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill set, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Familiarity with DOT rules and regulations is a plus.
- Must be 18 years of age.
- Forklift certification (or the ability to become certified) is required.
- Proficient use of Microsoft Suite
- Must pass a function capacity test.
education and experience
High School Graduate or GED required. Bachelors Degree from an accredited college or university preferred; or three to five years warehouse related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Must be articulate and effective with written and verbal communication with individuals of broadly varying backgrounds and educational levels. Must have the ability to maintain cooperation between all departments of the RDC operations. Good interpersonal and supervisory skills. Must be able to effectively perform in a multi-tasking environment with frequent interruptions. Must be able to effectively manage confidential information.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
It is expected that the incumbent will be able to work in a proactive manner, address issues, and solve problems by using previous education and experience in identifying appropriate actions. Problems will vary in complexity and there will not always be a clearly defined solution. Some solutions may require modifying past applications or creating a solution unique to the current situation, but within the regulations that would apply.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Certification on material handling equipment or ability to become certified. Required to complete Baugh RDC supervisory training program.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITION
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. An individual should contact his or her supervisor or the Human Resource Department if he or she believes that an accommodation is needed.
While performing the duties of this job, the associate is regularly required to talk or hear. The associate frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms. The associate is frequently required to sit; climb or balance; and occasionally to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The associate must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds; and seldom lift and/or move between 41 and 50 pounds. The associate must frequently open, close, and latch trailer doors – roll up and barn/swing styles. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. An individual should contact his or her supervisor or the Human Resources Department if he or she believes that an accommodation is needed.
The work environment characteristics described here represent those that an associate encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the associate is regularly exposed to moving motor vehicles or other mechanical equipment. The associate is frequently exposed to all types of weather. The associate is occasionally exposed to vehicle emissions; toxic or caustic chemicals; outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment usually is loud.
This is a full-time position. The incumbent must have the ability to work a varying schedule which might include shift work (days or nights), weekdays or weekends, and some holidays. Work hours may vary or change based on business needs.
The above statement reflects the general details necessary to describe the principal functions of the occupation described and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the occupation.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer, and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected factor under federal, state or local law.
This opportunity is available through Sysco Corporation, its subsidiaries and affiliates.