Company: Sysco Northeast Redistribution Center
Location: US-VA-Front Royal
Zip Code: 22630
Minimum Level of Education: High School or Equivalent
Minimum Years of Experience: 3
Position Type: Exempt
Travel Percentage: Up to 25%
This position supervises warehouse and distribution activities to promote safe, efficient, and optimal utilization of our facilities, equipment, and personnel. Ensures work standards are met to receive, put away and ship merchandise in an effective and accurate method. Performs effective, timely communications to respective associates and management as necessary. Maintain and protect warehouse integrity and security. Performs all duties safely, accurately and meets set productivity goals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Send/receive positive communications to responsible associates.
- Monitor receiving and shipping procedures to ensure that products are unloaded, received, put away, selected and loaded in the most efficient manner for the greatest customer satisfaction.
- Communicate and reinforce policies and procedures (Coaching Maximizing Performance Program, Preferred Work Methods, and Best Business Practices) to ensure associates are trained in safety, job knowledge, and attainment of performance standards.
- Plan, schedule to cover vacation, holidays, workers compensation, and other shift fill-ins, and coordinate personnel needed to accomplish all warehousing activities.
- Monitor work flow, balance staff between all work areas to maintain an even flow, and monitor productivity and volume through the use of the labor management system.
- Monitor associate’s work (labor management) and perform associate evaluations on an on-going basis to coach them on expectations, reward above average performance, and identify and coach poor performance levels.
- Reduce overtime by utilizing the Daily Planning Tool spreadsheet.
- Work effectively with Transportation to maximize flow of receiving and shipping processes.
- Work with Inventory Control and Operations Systems to ensure that all product integrity is maintained and is properly stored and rotated.
- Foster an environment that encourages associate involvement, commits to quality of work from self and others, and provides leadership for mutual benefit of the company, customers, and associates.
- Ensure that all required associate records, evaluations, and related documentation are filed in a timely, consistent, and accurate manner.
- Act as a problem solver for associate relations issues and department needs.
- Work effectively with Inventory Control to minimize warehouse shrink (product loss).
- Responsible for appearance, maintenance, and security of warehouse and equipment.
- Observe and enforce all safety rules in an effort to eliminate accidents and injuries.
- Support the safety effort by participating on the safety committee and working with the safety department to resolve safety issues.
- Ensure warehouse computers and RF (radio frequency) equipment are used in a safe and professional manner.
- Understand and comply with all applicable company policies (i.e. attendance, Code of Business Conduct & Ethics, Associate Handbook, etc.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable state/federal laws, regulations, and policies (i.e. OSHA (Occupational Safety & Health Administration), HACCP, AIB, etc.).
- Accept additional responsibilities or special projects as requested.
Directly supervise fifteen to twenty-five associates. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the Sysco Redistribution Center Facilities’ policies and procedures and applicable state and federal laws. Interview, hire, train associates, plan, assign and direct work, evaluate performance, reward and coach subordinates.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill set, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. An individual should contact the Human Resource representative or hiring manager if he or she believes that an accommodation is needed.
- Must be 18 years of age.
- Internal non-exempt candidates must be in a lead position to qualify for the Supervisor position.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills between associates, peers, and RDC management.
- Must have ability to plan and organize work and time, analyze and disseminate numerical data, follow policies and procedures, possess basic math skills, and identify and solve problems.
- Must have basic computer knowledge.
- Must pass a functional capacity test.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
High school diploma or General Education Degree (GED) is required. Bachelor’s Degree is preferred, or three to five years warehouse related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Completion of a supervisory training program is also required.
Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations is required. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, procedure manuals, and to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, and customers is also required.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, percent, and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
It is expected that the incumbent will be able to work in a proactive manner, address issues, and solve problems by using previous education and experience in identifying appropriate actions. Problems will vary in complexity and there will not always be a clearly defined solution. Some solutions may require modifying past applications or creating a solution unique to the current situation but within the regulations that would apply.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
Certification on material handling equipment is required, or the ability to become certified.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITION:
The working conditions and physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. An individual should contact his or her supervisor or the Human Resources Department if he or she believes that an accommodation is needed.
While performing the duties of this job, the associate is regularly required to talk or hear and to use hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard and mouse. The associate is frequently required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel, and reach with hands and arms. The associate is occasionally required to sit. The associate must frequently lift and/or move up to 40 pounds, occasionally lift and/or move between 41 and 50 pounds, and seldom lift and/or move 51 pounds and up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Job duties are performed in a warehouse environment, and is frequently exposed to varying temperatures to include the freezer, cooler, and dry warehouse locations. While performing the duties of this job, the associate is regularly exposed to fast moving material handling equipment or other mechanical equipment. The associate is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, vehicle emissions, contained toxic or caustic chemicals, and outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment usually is loud.
This is a full-time position. The incumbent must have the ability to work a varying schedule which might include shift work (days or nights), weekdays or weekends, and some holidays. Work hours may vary or change based on departmental requirements.
The position may require some travel.
The above statement reflects the general details necessary to describe the principal functions of the occupation described and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the occupation.
For questions regarding the status of your application, please contact Jill Slaughter at 540-631-2375
or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States.
Sysco Northeast Redistribution Center is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer, and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected factor under federal, state or local law.
This opportunity is available through Sysco Corporation, its subsidiaries and affiliates.Employment Type: Full Time