Sysco Associate Apply - Click Here
Company: Sysco Corporate
Zip Code: 77077
Minimum Level of Education: Bachelor's Degree
Minimum Years of Experience: 5
Travel Percentage: 0
More information about this job:
We offer our associates the opportunity to grow personally and professionally, to contribute to the success of a dynamic organization, and to serve others in a manner that exceeds their expectations. We're looking for talented, hard-working individuals to join our team. Come grow with us and let us show you why we’re at the heart of food and service.
The Manager, Quality Assurance (QA) – Regulatory & Technical Services (RTS) is responsible for collaborating with internal (field and corporate) and external stakeholders (suppliers, customers, regulators) in all levels of management to execute Market Actions (ie. Recalls, Withdrawals, Public Health Advisories) across multiple countries, predominately the U.S and Canada. The Manager, QA – RTS is also ensures Sysco regulatory compliance by remaining informed of changes to various federal, state and local regulations for which Sysco our suppliers and customers are subject to. Additionally, the Manger, QA – RTS also supports OPCOs during interactions (ie. inspections, audits, etc.) with regulators at the OPCO level. The Manager, QA – RTS also manages the various data/IT systems deployed by the QA Team to document actions, assess enterprise risk as well as track supplier and internal associate performance. This role is also responsible for managing and writing procedures which impact our suppliers, customers and enterprise wide operating procedures. As a manager level position, this role is required to directly manage multiple processes and/or individuals both directly and indirectly on a daily basis. This may include giving regular feedback to direct reports through daily communications and performance reviews.
Lead and manage Market Actions (Recalls, Withdrawals, Advisories, etc.) for Sysco Corporation
- Lead, manage and execute Market Action Activities with external (suppliers, customers, regulators, etc.) and internal (field and corporate) stakeholders to ensure timely, accurate communication and removal of products from the market.
- Ensure and verify all associated records, communications and tasks are completed accurately and in a timely manner. This includes Corporate and OPCO records/tasks.
- Administer financial processes surrounding Market Actions, including payment of third party provider and billing back to suppliers for incurred costs. (~$3-4MM/year in transactions)
- Facilitate and manage interactions between regulators (ie. federal, local and international) and Sysco concerning Market Action Activities to ensure compliance with applicable recall and other associated regulations (i.e. Reportable Food Registry Reporting, Effectiveness Checks, etc.)
- Manage and collaborate with third party contractor as well as appropriate stakeholders (i.e. internal functional groups, customers, regulators, etc.) to design strategies to continuously improve the Market Action Communication Process.
Maintain Sysco Quality Assurance Data Systems
- Manage relationship and performance of third party solution providers regarding system performance and enhancements as well as general support for routine processes executed by their company.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders (ie. OPCOs, BT, Merchandising, Finance, etc.) as well as external stakeholders (ie. suppliers, customers and regulators) on the utilization, maintenance and optimization of the various systems utilized by QA, including but not limited to: a) BellTower Technologies Instant Recall, b) RizePoint (IAP, IFA, FI, and other internal and external programs), c) Sysco Brand Product Specification Database, d) Product Discrepancy Notice System, e) Safety Data Sheet System, f) Tableau Dashboards, etc.
- Collaborate with various stakeholders to develop, analyze, generate and report data from the various QA Data Systems to make informed business decisions, conduct enterprise and supplier risk assessments, determine associate performance, and to facilitate continuous improvement across the enterprise.
Manage Policies and Procedures as they relate to Sysco Quality Assurance Programs and Data Systems
- Serve as subject matter expert and counsel to OPCOs concerning the creation, updating, maintenance and execution of the Sysco HACCP Plans.
- Collaborate with appropriate internal stakeholders to create, update, maintain, deploy and execute enterprise wide policies, procedures and programs.
- Responsible for Document Control processes for Sysco Corporate QA Programs
- Create, update, deploy and execute training for relevant QA Data Systems and programs, policies and procedures managed by RTS.
Ensure Regulatory Compliance
- Manage and ensure all required food safety regulatory licenses and registrations (I.e. FDA Bioterrorism Act, USDA Meat and Poultry Handlers, CFIA Safe Food for Canadians Licenses, etc.) are accurate and current.
- Serve as Sysco’s subject matter expert to internal associates, suppliers, customers and trade groups for all food safety, labeling and product specific regulatory requirements.
- Stay apprised of all new or changes to existing food safety/labeling regulations on an international, federal, state and local level. Asses and determine Sysco’s impact for all new or changes to existing food safety/labeling regulations. Strategize and champion necessary changes, both internally and externally to ensure Sysco is compliant with all new or changes to existing regulation. To ensure compliance the RTS Manger may have to conduct, but not limited to, the follow activities: analysis of regulatory requirements, impact and gap analysis, stakeholder analysis, creating/updating policies and procedures, project planning and management, change management, communication planning, program deployment, compliance verification activities, etc.
- Provide support to all OPCOs, both in the U.S. and internationally, during regulatory activities conducted at their local OPCO. Manage, advise and draft responses to regulatory non-compliances identified at OPCOs during inspections/audits. Collaborate with OPCO Management to ensure appropriate corrective actions are taken to mitigate any regulatory compliances and prevent their reoccurrences in the future.
Maintain Internal and External Food Safety Relations
- Establish and maintain on-going relationships with customers (both national and local accounts) and respond to issues as required.
- Assist the Sales and Marketing group in providing Sysco QA informational material and presentations to customers and other external stakeholders on a regular basis.
- Represent, advocate, manage and maintain Sysco’s relationship with regulatory authorities and strategic industry trade groups to stay informed of regulatory and best practice changes as well as to promote Sysco’s interest on relevant matters.
- Represent Sysco QA at various conferences and trade associations by potentially serving on committees and working groups as well as presenting on various topics.
- Supervise and build a team of both direct and indirect reports, including but not limited to a) Direct Reports: Recall Coordinator(s), Data Analyst, b) Indirect Reports: Third Party Solution Providers, Food Safety Program Mangers, BT Liaisons
- Manage the various processes and stakeholders covered in the aforementioned sections.
- Bachelor’s degree in Food Science, Animal Science or Biological Science from four-year College strongly preferred or equivalent experience in Food Safety/Regulatory to offset degree.
- Five to seven years’ experience in regulatory affairs and knowledge of USDA/FDA/CFIA regulations as they relate to food manufacturing and distribution. Expert understanding of Food Safety regulations, laws, and best practices including those from FDA, USDA, CFIA and other provincial/state/ local entities.
- Three plus years accountability for compliance of federal/state/provincial/local regulatory laws. Proven ability ensuring safety and quality of products.
- Three plus years’ experience leading a team as well as development and management of standardized Food Safety policies and procedures. Excellent investigative and analytical skills, project management knowledge or skills.
- Technical acuity and confidence to act.
- Time management and prioritization skills, ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with capacity to engage internal and external at all levels. Prior recall experience/knowledge preferred.
- Knowledge of product traceability.
- HACCP, PCQI, Seafood HACCP, FSVP certification preferred. Knowledge of food microbiology, Food Safety, and food defense.
- Travel is required 10% of time (average travel is 1.5 - 3 out of 5 days per week).
Skills and Abilities:
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
Intrinsic Capabilities: The successful candidate will have a high-level of integrity and accountability, specifically the ability to speak and act with complete honesty and trustworthiness. Successful candidates must be capable of working independently and adept at identification of business and Food Safety risk priorities and executing against them in a collaborative manner with others on the QA team, Operating Company personnel, and suppliers. He /She will be flexible and adaptable to promptly adjust to new circumstances. In addition, this person will demonstrate active curiosity with a strong focus around proactively soliciting and acting on received feedback. This person will have a high level of maturity and be able to read an audience and adapt their communication and influencing style quickly and appropriately. This person will have high energy and thrive on solving complex challenges. He/She will be able to handle multiple assignments and stakeholders simultaneously, often with competing priorities. This person will be required to lead and manage a team of 1-3 team members.
Setting Vision, Strategy and Direction: The successful candidate will have detailed knowledge and insights into the business, including QA data systems knowledge and productivity metrics that ultimately drive results. This person will have the ability to think and act in a forward-looking manner. He/She will be relentlessly focused on execution.
Developing and Leveraging Relationships: The successful candidate will have communication, customer service, relationship building and influencing skills. He /She will be open-minded, transparent and they will have good listening skills. This person will communicate ideas in a clear, practical and compelling manner. Further, they will balance data, personalities and conflicting interests when influencing others and recognize nuances in reading others. Finally, this person possesses a high level of integrity and character.
Team Participation: The successful candidate will be able to collaborate with a high degree of emotional intelligence who respects people. He / She will have an inclusive style; they will build trust, frank dialogue and respect, and foster teamwork. This person will be required to lead and manage a team of 1-3 team members.
Language Skills: The successful candidate will have the ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations in English. Candidate must demonstrate ability to write reports, business correspondence, policies and procedures, as well as effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of associates, senior leaders, customers, and suppliers.
Mathematical Skills: The successful candidate must demonstrate the ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals, as well as have ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to create and interpret graphs.
Reasoning Ability: The successful candidate must demonstrate the ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. The successful candidate must demonstrate ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Certificates, Licenses, and Registrations: Valid driver’s license. Certifications in Food Safety, HACCP, PCQI, Seafood HACCP
Other Skills and Abilities: Ability to use a personal computer and office communication equipment.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
This position is located at the corporate office in Houston, TX. In order to fulfill management responsibilities, candidates must be able to travel to Sysco Operating Companies, regulatory meetings and industry conferences. The work requires the following physical activities: sitting, finger dexterity for activities such as data entry, speaking, hearing, visual acuity, and mobility between departments. Work may require bending, stooping, squatting, kneeling, and crouching; extensive telephone work; ability to receive detailed information through both verbal and written communication, ability to express or exchange ideas by means of the spoken word; ability to lift up to 50 lbs. Use of both hands is required. The work is performed primarily indoors. Occasionally some work may be performed for short periods in temperature controlled warehouse environments (freezer, cooler, and exterior environments).
The work environment characteristics and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Plant audits/inspections and working at remote in-transit warehouses and Sysco Operating Companies contain both moderate/loud noise and exposure to fumes and mechanical hazards.
NOTICE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of the environment and level of work being performed by this job. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only tasks to be performed by the associate in this job. He or she will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other job related duties requested by his or her supervisor. This job description supersedes prior job descriptions.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States.
Sysco is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer, and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected factor under federal, state or local law.
This opportunity is available through Sysco Corporation, its subsidiaries and affiliates.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States.
Sysco Corporate is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer, and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected factor under federal, state or local law.
This opportunity is available through Sysco Corporation, its subsidiaries and affiliates.Employment Type: Full Time