Regional Dir, Food Safety
Sysco Associate Apply - Click Here
Company: Corporate Enclave
Zip Code: 77077
Minimum Level of Education: Associate's degree
Minimum Years of Experience: 10 +
Position Type: Exempt
Travel Percentage: Up to 50%
More information about this job:
At Sysco, we offer our associates the opportunity to grow personally and professionally, to contribute to the success of a dynamic organization, and to serve others in a manner that exceeds their expectations. We are looking for talented, hard-working individuals to join our team. Come grow with us and let us show you why good things really do come from Sysco.
The Regional Director, Food Safety is responsible for providing overall leadership and oversight for Corporate Food Safety Programs across Operating Companies within an assigned region. This position supports the design, development and implementation of a comprehensive, risk based food safety system for the Distribution segment.
The Regional Director, Food Safety will oversee and manage the implementation of the expectations, policies, procedures, programs and training components of the food safety system. This position will develop, coach, train, and evaluate performance of Food Safety Program Managers in their region. This position is also responsible to support establishment, tracking and communicating the FSQA Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) in Distribution and working with Distribution Centers to seek continuous improvement in KPIs.
This position manages Operating Company Food Safety strategy to mitigate risk through programs that provide safe food to customers, and ensures compliance with all applicable food regulations. This role frequently collaborates with Corporate, market, regional and local leadership in Operations, Merchandising, Finance, Sales, HR, Safety, as well as customers, and supplier personnel to provide food safety guidance and subject matter expertise.
Lead and manage multiple Food Safety Program Managers across multiple locations
- Directly manage, train, coach, and evaluate the performance of Food Safety Program Managers within a specified region
- Support determination of associate Key Food Performance Indicators (KPIs). Monitor adherence, track and communicate progress frequently
Oversee Food Safety Policies, Procedures, and Training
- Develop and manage overall implementation of standardized food safety policies and procedures to ensure compliance with applicable regulatory requirements (Federal, State/Provincial, and Local).
- Create, maintain, and execute training content relevant to Food Safety
- Provide oversight to Food Safety Program Managers in an effort to implement and manage compliance with Sysco Food Safety Programs
- Completes formal Food Safety Program reassessment on an annual basis or upon any food safety system change and/or regulation that would mandate reassessment. Work with Food Safety Program Manager to communicate changes to Operating Company stakeholders and others as necessary
- Establish tools and reporting metrics for Key Food Safety Performance Indicators (KPIs) to demonstrate compliance with Sysco’s Food Safety programs.
- Manage process improvement initiatives to further mitigate Sysco’s food safety risks and to differentiate Sysco from its competitors
- Provide food safety guidance and direction to Sysco Operating Companies, customers, and suppliers as needed
- Collaborate with other distribution centers in their region as well as other functions within Sysco to ensure food safety preventive controls are consistently implemented
- Provide food safety guidance and direction to Food Safety Program Managers on internal and external audits or regulatory inspections as needed. Provide feedback on action plans for non-conformance
Maintain Internal and External Food Safety Relations
- Establish and maintain on-going relationships with customers and respond to issues as required
- Work with Multi Unit Account (MUA) customers and Operating Company stakeholders to evaluate and respond to customer driven requests.
- Maintain effective working relationships with regulatory authorities, industry trade groups, suppliers, owned companies, internal stakeholders and customers
- 10+ years’ experience in Food Safety or Quality Assurance roles responsible for perishable and/or durable consumer goods.
- Environments may include: Food Distribution Centers, Foodservice Operating Companies, Food Processing Companies, Product Warehouse Facilities or related industries.
- 7+ year’s accountability for enforcement of federal/state/local regulatory laws. Proven ability ensuring safety and quality of products.
- 5+ years management experience of staff members (remote staff management preferred) Experience should include hire, terminate and performance management.
- 3+ year’s cross-functional business partnering at Sr. Leadership levels.
- 3+ years’ experience development and management of standardized food safety policies and procedures
- Excellent investigative and analytical skills, project management knowledge or skills
- Technical acuity and confidence to act.
- Time management and prioritization skills, ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with capacity to engage internal and external at all levels.
- Prior recall experience/knowledge
- Knowledge of product traceability
- Expert understanding of Food Safety regulations, laws, and best practices including those from FDA, USDA, and other state/ local entities
- Knowledge of food microbiology, food safety, and food defense
- Travel is required 30-50% of time (average travel is 1.5 - 3 out of 5 days per week)
- HACCP and ServeSafe certification preferred
Education and / or Experience:
- Preference will be given to candidates with a Bachelor’s degree (Food Science, Animal Science, Biological Science or related)
- In lieu of a Bachelor’s Degree, a combination of education and experience may be considered, provided that the candidate has demonstrated technical proficiency in the areas of food microbiology, food chemistry, animal science, biology, food safety, food defense, bacteriology, food processing technologies, and food regulations & policy.
- Associates Degree Required
Intrinsic Capabilities: The successful candidate will have a high-level of integrity and accountability, specifically the ability to speak and act with complete honesty and trustworthiness. Successful candidates must be capable of working independently and adept at identification of business and food safety risk priorities and executing against them in a collaborative manner with others on the FSQA team He /She will be flexible and adaptable to promptly adjust to new circumstances. In addition, this person will demonstrate active curiosity with a strong focus around proactively soliciting and acting on received feedback. This person will have a very high level of executive maturity and be able to read an audience and adapt their communication and influencing style quickly and appropriately. This person will have high energy and thrive on solving complex challenges. He/She will be able to handle multiple assignments and stakeholders simultaneously, often with competing priorities.
Setting Vision, Strategy and Direction: The successful candidate will have detailed knowledge and insights into the business, including risk management performance and productivity metrics that ultimately drive results. This person will have the ability to think and act in a forward-looking manner, including the demonstrated ability to anticipate challenges and opportunities and address them in a proactive, pragmatic, fact-driven manner. He/She will be relentlessly focus on execution; holding team members fully accountable for the delivery on their commitments.
Developing and Leveraging Relationships: The successful candidate will have superior communication, customer service, relationship building and influencing skills. He /She will be open-minded, transparent and they will have exceptional listening skills. This person will communicate arguments and ideas in a clear, practical and compelling manner. Further, they will balance data, personalities and conflicting interests when influencing others and recognize nuances in reading others. Finally, this person possesses the highest level of integrity and character.
Building and Leading Teams: The successful candidate will be a collaborative leader with a high degree of emotional intelligence who inspires, manages, coaches and respects people. He / She will have an inclusive style; they will build trust, frank dialogue and respect, and foster teamwork. This person will also have a clear commitment to developing key talent and building future leaders with a proven track record of such. He/She will empower team members, foster a culture of accountability, and lead associates in a matrixed environment to achieve results.
Language Skills: The successful candidate will have the ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations in English. Candidate must demonstrate ability to write reports, business correspondence, policies and procedures, as well as effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of associates, senior leaders, customers, and suppliers.
Mathematical Skills: The successful candidate must demonstrate the ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals, as well as have ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to create and interpret graphs.
Reasoning Ability: The successful candidate must demonstrate the ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
Other Skills and Abilities: Ability to use a personal computer and office communication equipment.
Certificates, Licenses and Registrations:
- Valid driver’s license. Certifications in Food Safety, HACCP and Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP); Basic knowledge of Food Microbiology, Food Safety, Food Defense, FSMA, FDA and USDA Regulations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
The work requires the following physical activities: sitting, finger dexterity for activities such as data entry, speaking, hearing, visual acuity, and mobility between departments. Work may require bending, stooping, squatting, kneeling, and crouching; extensive telephone work; ability to receive detailed information through both verbal and written communication, ability to express or exchange ideas by means of the spoken word; ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
Use of both hands is required. The work is performed primarily indoors. Occasionally some work may be performed for short periods in temperature controlled warehouse environments (freezer, cooler, and exterior environments).
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by associates within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of associates assigned to this job.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position is located at the corporate office in Houston, TX or the position will be based at a Sysco owned company within the Region Assigned. In order to fulfill regional management responsibilities, candidates must be able to travel frequently to Sysco facilities or Operating Companies.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Plant audits/inspections and working at remote in-transit warehouses and Sysco Operating Companies contain both moderate/loud noise and exposure to fumes and mechanical hazards.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States.
Sysco is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer, and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected factor under federal, state or local law.
This opportunity is available through Sysco Corporation, its subsidiaries and affiliates.Employment Type: Full Time