Director of Merchandising and Marketing
Company: European Imports
Location: US-IL-Arlington Heights
Zip Code: 60005
Minimum Level of Education: Bachelor's Degree
Minimum Years of Experience: 5
Position Type: Exempt
Travel Percentage: Up to 25%
Merchandising and Marketing Director
Basic Function and Responsibility:
Under general supervision, provide direction and take responsibility for current and future marketing and merchandising developments. Oversee and manage the daily performance of Category Specialists, Customs Broker, Buyers, Analysts and Marketing personnel to meet and exceed company goals.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage, develop and coach departmental staff. Interpret the organizations’ policies and goals clearly and concisely, communicating this information to departmental staff.
- Maintain the marketing department Profit and Loss and monitor department expenses ensuring that they do not exceed the company’s plan numbers.
- Plan and communicate the annual marketing plan for the company.
- Work with the Marketing Coordinator to plan, communicate and administer all monthly spiffs and promotions.
- Oversee the production of all publications and advertising campaigns for the company.
- Assist in the development of quality product training programs for the sales force.
- Oversee trade shows.
- Problem-solve and make decisions in regard to daily operations for either the cooler, dry, frozen, and produce areas of the warehouse. Ex: slotting, special shipping costs, out of stocks, daily spoilage, priority trucks, write offs, below cost sales to customers, returns, credits, promotions, obsolescence, street sales by category, etc.
- Analyze, negotiate, approve and review new/existing suppliers and product lines.
- Assist buyers daily, providing information where needed. Ex: negotiating the best possible pricing, expedient turns, develop weekly pricing of Hot Sheets, market updates, pricing information, supplier trends and communication pieces etc.
- Oversee the purchase order process ensuring integrity and timeliness.
- Ensure department purchases designated lines from Sysco approved vendors.
- Source innovative products under specialty category, negotiating profitable programs and facilitating effective introduction to the sales force.
- Plan and facilitate presentations to customers, sales force, staff and conferences as needed.
- Follow up to obtain Hold Harmless and COI agreements for new suppliers that we wish to take to market.
- Regularly review reports, proposals, Earned Income by category, scheduling, SKU’s, etc.
- Oversee Category Management Projects.
- Review and update departmental processes and procedures to ensure efficiency, productivity and ability to meet merchandising departmental goals.
- Adhere to all applicable GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice), personal hygiene, and SQF (Safe Quality Food) policies and procedures as described in the European Imports – Sysco Food Safety Training Manual.
- Assist as needed in product recall incidents.
- Serve as a product recall coordinator.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
General working conditions – exposed to adverse conditions 5% or less of time.
General supervision is received from the General Manager.
General supervision of Procurement Manager, Category Specialists, Customs Broker, Buyers, Analysts and Marketing personnel.
- Bachelor degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired is required.
- 5 – 7 years of previous experience in a purchasing/product management/marketing environment is required. International food supplier/relationship experience is required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are required.
- Ability to work with a variety of people and situations in a fast-paced environment.
- Intermediate word processing (Microsoft Word preferred), intermediate spreadsheet application (Microsoft Excel preferred) and beginning presentation (Microsoft PowerPoint) skills are desired.
For questions regarding the status of your application, please contact Lee Gersch at 847-979-7650
or by email at email@example.com
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States.
Sysco is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer, and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected factor under federal, state or local law.
This opportunity is available through Sysco Corporation, its subsidiaries and affiliates.Employment Type: Full Time