Mgr, Transportation Planning
Sysco Associate Apply - Click Here
Company: Corporate Enclave
Zip Code: 77077
Minimum Level of Education: High School or Equivalent
Minimum Years of Experience: 3
Position Type: Exempt
Travel Percentage: 0
More information about this job:
At Sysco, we offer our associates the opportunity to grow personally and professionally, to contribute to the success of a dynamic organization, and to serve others in a manner that exceeds their expectations. We are looking for talented, hard-working individuals to join our team. Come grow with us and let us show you why good things really do come from Sysco.
The Transportation Planning Manager role is responsible for the coordination of activities related to moving product from supplier locations to Sysco facilities. This role is accountable for driving service improvements at the market level while balancing cost impacts. The Transportation Planning Manager is also responsible for resolving operational issues including the negotiation of spot freight.
- Ensure that purchase orders are delivered at the right time, to the right place, at the most optimal cost, and on spec.
- Utilize Manhattan TMS system to plan, optimize, and tender freight within 24 hours of PO creation.
- Resolve recalled/rejected tenders within 2 business hours from notification of recall/rejection.
- Identify issues that contribute to the failure of shipments to deliver on time to the day; develop and execute resolution or escalate where necessary.
- Ensure use of contracted carriers where applicable
- Responsible for negotiating and awarding spot volume from Sysco's spot board for assigned markets
- Communicate with internal and external stakeholders to resolve issues and share information related to shipments.
- Includes tracking and tracing of shipments to meet agreed upon service metrics, and resolving operational transportation issues.
- Lead service calls with carrier partners to improve cost performance and resolve systemic issues related to markets.
- Drive cross-functional teams (CDM, MLM) to develop logistics improvement initiatives within assigned market/geographical region.
- In partnership with merchandising and inbound logistics team members, proactively manage modifications of the Sysco carrier network due to supplier network changes.
- Provide back up support to team members when necessary
- Provide after-hours support to carrier partners
- Road Transportation
- Customer Focus
- Problem Solving & Decision Making
Education and / or Experience:
- 3 years in the transportation industry
- Demonstrated experience in strategic freight negotiations
- 3-5 years in truck freight planning and scheduling
- Professional procurement and negotiation of temperature controlled freight
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint is required.
- Ability to negotiate
- Effective verbal and written communication
- Solid organizational skills
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk and use hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and telephone to talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to sit and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
Normal 5/40 schedule although work may be required outside of normal working hours during peak periods. The role is operational in nature and provides support to all US time zones. Depending on the market served, the work day could end between 5PM and 7PM CST.
NOTICE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of the environment and level of work being performed by this job. This job description in no way states or implies that the duties and responsibilities listed are the only tasks to be performed by the employee in this job. The employeewill be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other job related duties requested by his or her supervisor.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job description supersedes prior job descriptions. When duties and responsibilities change and develop the job description will be reviewed and subject to changes of business necessity.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States.
Sysco is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer, and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected factor under federal, state or local law.
This opportunity is available through Sysco Corporation, its subsidiaries and affiliates.Employment Type: Full Time