Company: Sysco South RDC
Zip Code: 32615
Minimum Level of Education: High School or Equivalent
Minimum Years of Experience: 2
Travel Percentage: Up to 25%
More information about this job:
Responsible for the management of the Redistribution Center (RDC) safety programs which lead to an accident-free, healthy and secure work environment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include but are not limited to the following:
- Gain detailed knowledge of the Sysco Safe program and preferred work methods to meet the needs of the distribution center.
- Assist with the development, implementation and maintenance of the Voluntary Protection Program (VPP) status at the distribution center.
- Work with department management and supervisors in the day-to-day management of the RDC safety programs; trains supervisors to carry out their role in the safety process.
- Assist with investigation of injuries, equipment accidents, and vehicle accidents to determine the root cause(s) and completes required risk assessments to prevent reoccurrence.
- Conduct risk assessments to proactively change procedures as required to reduce work related accidents.
- Ensure that Safety Written Programs, practices and processes are in compliance with local, state and federal OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) rules and regulations as well as Sysco specific safety program requirements.
- Partner with managers and supervisors to ensure associates are trained in safety, job knowledge, and attainment of performance standards.
- Ensure that all new-hire associate and annual associate training, such as powered industrial equipment training and certification, lock out-tag out, hazard communication, hazardous materials, bloodborne pathogens, is performed regularly and consistently.
- Prepare and maintains required regulatory and management reports, including providing worker’s compensation information to the third party administrator.
- Analyze and trends Coach Card information in the E-Time database and distributes statistical-related information to the management team.
- Facilitate weekly and monthly food safety inspections. Participates in all Sysco preferred company audits (safety, environmental, food safety, etc.) and assists in the preparation of action steps to address areas requiring improvement.
- Ensure all current SDS (Safety Data Sheets) are available. Collaborate with Manager, Facilities to ensure contractor SDS information is reviewed per the Chemical Control Program for all applicable items.
- Participate and/or facilitate the RDC Safety Committee, Food Safety Committee, and Safety Culture Review Committee.
- Assist the Director, Human Resources in the development, maintenance, and coordination of the random, post-accident and for-cause drug and alcohol testing program.
- Work with management/supervisors to ensure accident investigation documentation is completed. Assist in the collection of material and evidence for use in Company hearings, lawsuits and insurance investigation. Work with corporate legal counsel and workers compensation administrator as appropriate.
- Provide support to the Manager, Occupational Health at the NE RDC as it relates to claims management and appropriate filings.
- Ensure that the Sysco Emergency Preparedness Plan (SEPP) Manual for the RDC is maintained with annual updates, evacuation plan, natural disaster planning, etc.
- Participate with appropriate management members in investigations related to safety and security issues.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable State and Federal laws, regulations and policies, i.e. OSHA (Occupational Health and Safety Administration), HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points), food safety, etc.
- Ensure all onsite and intermittent scheduled work contractors are evaluated prior to beginning work for current Sysco Hold Harmless signed agreement, Certificate of Insurance (COI) are reviewed against Sysco requirements based on risk level of work performed. Ensure Contractor company designee attends a review of the Contractor Safety Program to include a Pre-Work Checklist when appropriate.
- Oversee environmental compliance programs (Process Safety Management e-PSM, Spill Prevention SPCC), Universal Waste, e-Compliance, and other programs as applicable.
- Facilitate routine inspections of contractor work area to include fleet shop contractor(s), warehouse, etc. and provide feedback to the contractor’s Sysco liaison
- Observe and enforce all safety rules in an effort to prevent accidents and injuries.
- Assist with budget (Profit Plan) preparation by providing feedback for anticipated expense items.
- Support food safety policies, standard operating procedures, and prerequisite food safety control programs that meet legal and quality requirements and industry best practices as defined in our Food Safety Commitment documentation.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable State/Federal laws, regulations and policies (i.e. OSHA, HACCP, etc.).
- Understands and complies with all applicable company policies (i.e. attendance, Code of Business Conduct and Ethics, Associate Handbook, etc.).
- Accepts additional responsibilities or special projects as requested.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collaborate with the Manager, Occupational Health at the NE RDC and the management team to promote wellness initiatives at the RDC.
- Partner with the Manager, Occupational Health at the NE RDC as he/she manages external provider relationships with Company physicians, workers compensation administrator, etc.
- Maintain accurate files and reports as required.
- Participate in annual safety conferences as required.
- Ensure weekly eye wash/shower and monthly fire extinguisher inspections are completed. Ensure all other eye wash flow testing is completed as required. Ensure fire extinguisher maintenance items or testing are completed timely.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must pass a physical assessment.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
High school diploma or General Education Degree (GED) required, Bachelor’s Degree from a four year college or university strongly desired. A minimum of two years experience in safety and supervision is required. Training background is a plus. Requires basic computer knowledge, including experience with Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Excel, Word and PowerPoint).
Must be articulate and effective with written and verbal communication with individuals of broadly varying backgrounds and educational levels. Must have ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals. Must have ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, contractors, and the general public.
Must have ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Must have ability to compute rate, ratio and percent.
It is expected that the incumbent will be able to work in a proactive manner, address issues, and solve problems by using previous education and experience in identifying appropriate actions. Problems will vary in complexity and there will not always be a clearly defined solution. Some solutions may require modifying past applications or creating a solution unique to the current situation, but within the regulations that would apply.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
No certification or registrations needed.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITION
The working conditions and physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. An individual should contact his or her supervisor or the Human Resources Department if he or she believes that an accommodation is needed.
While performing the duties of this job, the associate is regularly required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, use hands to finger, handle or feel objects or controls to operate computer keyboard and mouse, and talk and hear. The associate frequently is required to sit for prolonged periods of time. The associate must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an associate encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Job is performed in an office environment with a significant portion of time spent in the operations or training area. While performing the duties of this job, the associate is regularly exposed to fast moving material handling equipment or other mechanical equipment. Job responsibilities require working with numerous safety, OSHA, and food sanitation issues such as noise levels and varying temperatures. The associate is frequently exposed to freezer/cooler warehouse environments. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
This is a full-time position. The incumbent must have the ability to work a varying schedule which might include shift work (days or nights), weekdays or weekends, and some holidays. Work hours may vary or change based on departmental requirements and schedule flexibility will be required in order to be accessible to associates on varying shifts.
Some travel is required to support the business needs of the RDC.
The above statement reflects the general details necessary to describe the principal functions of the occupation described and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the occupation.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States.
Sysco is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer, and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected factor under federal, state or local law.
This opportunity is available through Sysco Corporation, its subsidiaries and affiliates.Employment Type: Full Time