Company: Newport Meat Northern California
Zip Code: 94536
Minimum Level of Education: High School or Equivalent
Minimum Years of Experience: 1
Travel Percentage: 0
More information about this job:
Newport Meat Northern California
This is a position that is responsible for cutting and processing custom and standard inventory items fabricating whole muscle meats for further processing.
Essential Skills and Knowledge
- Basic mathematical skills.
- Computer skills.
- Product knowledge – quality of meat and to be able to tell the difference between type of product.
- Knife skills – knowledge of how to portion with maximum yield on product.
Essential Duties: (essential functions are in bold)
- Assesses quality of product to ensure that poor quality is not being sent out.
- Works directly with management to control shrink – bring product quality to attention of management so credit can be taken from vendors.
- Accurately cut to trim and yield specifications (cut to ounce size per customer specifications).
- Provide communication to supervisor of any discrepancies between cutting tickets and normal customer purchases.
- Pull raw materials and pre-cut inventory according to code dates and report any short shelf-life items to the supervisor.
- Properly label all products to conform to all legal and safety regulations.
- Properly and accurately record all necessary data to produce assigned cutting yield tests.
- Accurately count product inventory levels and maintain levels set forth by supervisor.
- Ensure that all product specifications are being met according to guidelines.
- Maintain work areas in compliance with U.S.D.A guidelines.
- Assemble and tear down any equipment in work area at the beginning and/or end of the shift.
- Properly clean, store and maintain all knives, scales, etc. assigned.
- Ensuring that the portion size and quantity the customer ordered is always correct and consistent.
- Avoid cross contamination by not mixing the different species on tables, bandsaws, or bins.
- Bandsaw – Only employees who have been trained may use.
- Less than high school education.
- 1 year related cutting/portion experience.
- Basic knife skills.
To be successful in this position, the individual performing the duties must successfully demonstrate the following competencies:
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures.
- Motivation - Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Measures self against standard of excellence.
- Planning/Organizing - Uses time efficiently.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Quantity - Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly.
- Safety and Security - Observes and demonstrates safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly. Uses all required PPE consistently.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Initiative - Asks for and offers help when needed.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the associate is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, or crouch, and talk and hear. The associate must regularly lift and /or move 10-40 pounds, and occasionally lift 50 -80 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an associate encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to wet, extreme cold and/or humid conditions and slipper/icy environment; moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is constant but is under the OSHA standard.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States.
Sysco is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer, and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected factor under federal, state or local law.
This opportunity is available through Sysco Corporation, its subsidiaries and affiliates.Employment Type: Full Time