Safety Manager (Plainfield, IN)
Company: Gilchrist & Soames
Location: US- IN-Plainfield
Zip Code: 08873
Minimum Level of Education: Bachelor's Degree
Minimum Years of Experience: 3
Travel Percentage: Up to 25%
More information about this job:
This position will lead the implementation of a prevention-focused health, safety and environmental (HSE) and security program. The position will establish, execute and deliver Guest Supply specific strategy that supports Sysco’s overall HSE objectives, including security and crisis preparedness objectives.
- In cooperation with Guest Supply management, develop HSE strategy in support of Corporate HSE and Security strategic goals.
- Develop effective HSE plans designed to meet operational goals to reduce injuries, accidents and incidents
- Effectively communicate with Senior Leadership on HSE strategy and objectives
- Support site management in the implementation of HSE plans
- Design and implement effective metrics to track progress, proactively identify areas of concern and drive accountability
- Develop and implement training programs to transfer HSE knowledge and core competencies to management and associates
- Develop and implement audits to track and identify gaps in local compliance with Sysco’s (HSE) policies and procedures
- Support creation of HSE goals for the site management and appropriate activity-based goals for the leadership team, functional managers, and front-line supervisors to drive HSE culture, compliance and results
- Lead a company-wide system to identify and evaluate hazards (risks), and implement effective controls (corrective solutions)
- Lead incident investigation process, including cause analysis and identification of corrective action plans
- Provide supervisor and management training on root cause analysis
- Interface with regulatory bodies (OSHA, DOT, EPA, and State/Local Regulators)
- Facilitate the completion of a company-wide annual HSE training plan
- Develop effective interdepartmental relationships
- Assist facilities management team in ensuring required regulatory permits are acquired, required reports are submitted to regulatory agencies and any site permit conditions (e.g. recordkeeping, PSM, storm water, special waste, etc.) are met
- Achieve annual targets for incident frequency, severity and cost reductions
- Display strong problem solving, organizational and analytical skills
- Demonstrate professional maturity and ability to act as a change leader
- Create and facilitate HSE engagement through HSE teams and committees needed to accomplish the established targets and annual objectives
- Drive and promote zero incident HSE culture throughout the company
- Support execution of Sysco’s Emergency Preparedness Plan procedures and policies
- Monitor, interpret and communicate regulatory changes to Guest Supply management
- Assist with the development and presentation of Corporate and site-specific training programs as needed
- Implement early return to work programs
- Perform management functions of staff selection, development, discipline, performance reviews and terminations
- Interpret, train on and consistently enforce Company policies and procedures
- Maintain associate relations through regular department meetings, maintain on-going interaction and communication, monitor associate morale, and respond to and implement ideas to improve associate engagement and enablement
MINIMUM EDUCATION, INCLUDING DEGREES & CERTIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor degree in a related field strongly preferred.
- Attained or is working toward certification as a Certified Safety Professional (CSP).
- Other pertinent safety certification or designations are desirable as well.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE (YEARS & TYPE OF EXPERIENCE):
- 5 years related HSE experience with at least 3 years’ supervisory experience.
- Experience in warehouse, transportation, production or industrial environment preferred.
- Strong background in safety with a proven record of results.
SKILLS & ABILITIES (TYPE & PROFICIENCY):
- The ability to drive a strong safety philosophy and implement constructive behavior changes in safety.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written), interpersonal and professional interactive skills. Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures and government regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from management, associates and external customers/stakeholders. Capable of working with peers and associates from other departments in a proactive and constructive manner. Ability to successfully engage and lead individual and team discussions and meetings.
- Leadership - Ability to mentor and develop individuals and teams. Able to engage and lead team discussions and meetings. Understand team dynamics and work well within a team structure. Collaborative management style. Delegate responsibilities effectively.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently, under minimal supervision, and as a team member.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, accuracy and thoroughness. Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time. Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Problem Solving – Identify and resolve problems in a timely manner. Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions and uses reason even when dealing with difficult or emotional topics. Looks for ways to improve and promote quality and safety. Meets challenges with resourcefulness. Generates suggestions for improving work.
- Planning/Organizing/Adaptability – Reacts well under pressure and is able to manage multiple priorities and deadlines. Prioritizes and plans work activities using time efficiently. Able to deal with frequent change, interruptions or unexpected delays. Changes approach or method to best fit the situation.
- Judgment – Displays willingness to make decisions. Exhibits sound and accurate judgment. Makes timely decisions.
- Maintains high level of confidentiality, discretion and professionalism at all times.
- Ability to apply all relevant policies in a consistent, timely and objective manner.
- Proficient in MS Windows and Office, including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint & Access. Ability to learn and apply company technology software and programs.
“PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT”
The physical, mental, and environmental conditions in which the work is performed. The demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk and use hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse and other office equipment, and telephone to talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms and climb or balance. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl and lift up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Travel is regularly required to visit other Manufacturing or Distribution Centers and office locations to attend training sessions, inspections, staff meetings, company events and/or industry or vendor trade shows.
- May be required to utilize personal vehicle for business travel that may result in long periods of sitting.
- Must maintain a valid driver license and provide proof of current automobile insurance coverage as set forth by Sysco.
- This position may require evening, weekend or other shift work depending on business needs.
- Flexibility to work outside regular work hours to support business needs during 1st, 2nd or 3rd shifts may be required.
- This position will be required to be work within manufacturing and distribution environments. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- This position may be exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, cold or elevated ambient temperature, moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals and outside weather conditions.
This job description indicates in general terms, the type and level of work performed as well as the typical responsibilities of employees in this classification. The duties described are not to be interpreted as being all-inclusive to any specific employee. Management reserves the rights to add, modify, change or rescind the work assignments of different positions and to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job. Nothing in this position description changes the at-will employment relationship existing between the Company and its employees. This job description supersedes prior job descriptions.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States.
Sysco is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer, and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected factor under federal, state or local law.
This opportunity is available through Sysco Corporation, its subsidiaries and affiliates.Employment Type: Full Time