Mgr, QA - RTS
Sysco Associate Apply - Click Here
Company: BSCC Corporate
Zip Code: 77077
Minimum Level of Education: High School or Equivalent
Minimum Years of Experience: 5
Position Type: Exempt
Travel Percentage: Up to 25%
More information about this job:
At Sysco, we offer our associates the opportunity to grow personally and professionally, to contribute to the success of a dynamic organization, and to serve others in a manner that exceeds their expectations. We are looking for talented, hard-working individuals to join our team. Come grow with us and let us show you why good things really do come from Sysco.
The Manager, Quality Assurance – Regulatory & Technical Services (RTS) is responsible for management of the Sysco Quality Assurance data systems (supplier compliance, complaints, specifications, etc.), managing the Market Actions (Recalls) impacting the Sysco enterprise and ensuring regulatory compliance with current and future regulations.
This position monitors the regulatory environments for which Sysco operates (i.e. CFIA, USDA, FDA, various state, provincial and local entities) to ensure the enterprise is in compliance with a current, new or changes to regulations. This includes becoming a subject matter expert on specific regulations, conducting gap analysis of the Sysco programs, procedures and practices, working with appropriate stakeholders to formulate a plan for compliance, assisting with the implementation of the compliance plan and periodic verification to ensure compliance after implementation. This role also supports Sysco Operating Companies during interactions with regulatory agencies (i.e. responding to regulatory inquiries, responding to FDA 483 or FSIS NRs, etc.). On occasion, this role will also assist suppliers and customers when Sysco deems it necessary to help with regulatory issues.
This position oversees the implementation of the various systems utilized by Sysco Quality Assurance to collect food safety and quality data for the enterprise. This includes but is not specifically limited to, (a) the supplier compliance program, which is utilized to capture data from suppliers and internal Operating Companies (i.e. Independent Audit Program, Routine Supplier Visits, Internal Facility Audits, Delivery Audits, etc.), (b) the product complaint repository or the Product Discrepancy Notice database, (c) the Product Specification Database, (d) the Product Evaluation Database, (e) other data systems utilized by Sysco QA to make informed decisions regarding the enterprise. This role is also responsible for the data reporting and analytics of the Sysco QA Data Systems.
The Manager Quality Assurance – Regulatory & Technical Services will manage the maintenance and improvement of the Sysco Market Action (Recall) process. This includes (a) ensuring the policies and procedures are updated and implemented by the various Operating Companies, (b) Instant Recall is maintained and properly utilized, (c) the continuous improvement of the notification process, (c) ensuring proper billing and cost recovery for all Market Actions, (d) working with Regulators regarding Recall notification efforts.
This role oversees the overall Corporate Food Safety and Quality Assurance programs, policies and procedures document control process.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Lead and manage recall communications for Sysco Corporation
- Work with recalling firm to confirm the impact on Sysco Operating Companies and the actions required. Assist Operating Companies as necessary to ensure compliance.
- Complete internal communications to all stakeholders.
- Report on behalf of all Operating Companies to the FDA’s Reportable Food Registry, USDA and States as required.
- Work with BellTower Technologies and appropriate stakeholders to continuously improve the Recall process.
Maintain Sysco Quality Assurance Data Systems
- Manage relationship with BellTower Technologies to ensure optimization of Instant Recall for Sysco.
- Manage relationship with RizePoint to ensure optimization of Supplier Data Management System, including but not limited to Initial Facility Audits (IFA), Facility Inspections (FI), and Independent Audit Program (IAP).
- Manage the maintenance and enhancement of the Sysco Brand Product Specification Database.
- Manage the maintenance and enhancement of the Sysco QA Product Discrepancy Notice (PDN) system.
- Manage the maintenance and enhancement of the Sysco Product Evaluation Database.
- Manage the maintenance and enhancement of the Sysco Quality Assurance system that provides Safety Data Sheets (SDS) for Sysco brand chemical products to Sysco Operating Companies and end users.
- Develop, analyze, generate and report data from the various Sysco QA data systems.
- Work with the Business Technology Department to maintain and improve various QA Data Systems (Specification Database, PDNS, Product Evaluations, etc.)
- Manage the maintenance and enhancement of the Sysco Seafood HACCP data in AS400, SAP and Excel. Ensure appropriate HACCP Plans are available for Sysco Operating Companies and that items are coded properly. Work with the Corporate IT and BT groups to ensure proper flow of HACCP plan data and item data between systems.
Manage Policies and Procedures as they relate to Sysco Quality Assurance Programs and Data Systems
- Manage the LiveLink site for policy and procedure approval and storage.
- Create, maintain, and execute training content relevant to QA Data Systems.
Ensure Regulatory Compliance
- Ensure all Operating Companies are registered with the FDA Bioterrorism Act, as USDA Meat & Poultry Handlers, and with CFIA Safe Foods for Canadians Act as required.
- Conduct review of Federal, state/provincial and local food safety regulations against Sysco Food Safety Programs. Modify Sysco Food Safety Programs as necessary to facilitate compliance.
- Assist Operating Company Food Safety Program Managers during and after regulatory inspections. Assist in the review of and response to Regulatory Inspections of Sysco Operating Companies, including any required regulatory updates to the Operating Company Food Safety Program to ensure compliance.
Maintain Internal and External Food Safety Relations
- Manage & coordinate customer feedback to all “Contact Us” concerns directed to QA via www.sysco.com.
- Establish and maintain on-going relationships with customers and respond to issues as required.
- Work with Multi Unit Account (MUA) customers and Operating Company stakeholders to evaluate and respond to customer driven requests.
- Provide Sysco Quality Assurance overview to both current and potential customers in conjunction with Sysco Marketing or Multi-Unit Accounts departments. Direct the enhancements of the presentations to ensure they remain timely and relevant.
- Maintain effective working relationships with regulatory authorities, industry trade groups, suppliers, owned companies, internal stakeholders and customers.
- Attend food safety conferences and when appropriate represent Sysco on food safety committees and working groups.
- Bachelor’s degree in Food Science, Animal Science or Biological Science from four-year College preferred.
- Three to seven years’ experience in regulatory affairs and knowledge of USDA/FDA/CFIA regulations as they relate to food manufacturing and distribution. Expert understanding of Food Safety regulations, laws, and best practices including those from FDA, USDA, CFIA and other provincial/state/ local entities.
- Three plus years accountability for enforcement of federal/state/provincial/local regulatory laws. Proven ability ensuring safety and quality of products.
- Three plus years’ experience development and management of standardized Food Safety policies and procedures.
- Excellent investigative and analytical skills, project management knowledge or skills.
- Technical acuity and confidence to act.
- Time management and prioritization skills, ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with capacity to engage internal and external at all levels.
- Prior recall experience/knowledge preferred.
- Knowledge of product traceability.
- HACCP, PCQI, Seafood HACCP, FSVP certification preferred.
- Knowledge of food microbiology, Food Safety, and food defense.
- Travel is required 10% of time (average travel is 1.5 - 3 out of 5 days per week).
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
Intrinsic Capabilities: The successful candidate will have a high-level of integrity and accountability, specifically the ability to speak and act with complete honesty and trustworthiness. Successful candidates must be capable of working independently and adept at identification of business and Food Safety risk priorities and executing against them in a collaborative manner with others on the QA team, Operating Company personnel, and suppliers. He /She will be flexible and adaptable to promptly adjust to new circumstances. In addition, this person will demonstrate active curiosity with a strong focus around proactively soliciting and acting on received feedback. This person will have a high level of maturity and be able to read an audience and adapt their communication and influencing style quickly and appropriately. This person will have high energy and thrive on solving complex challenges. He/She will be able to handle multiple assignments and stakeholders simultaneously, often with competing priorities.
Setting Vision, Strategy and Direction: The successful candidate will have detailed knowledge and insights into the business, including QA data systems knowledge and productivity metrics that ultimately drive results. This person will have the ability to think and act in a forward-looking manner. He/She will be relentlessly focused on execution.
Developing and Leveraging Relationships: The successful candidate will have communication, customer service, relationship building and influencing skills. He /She will be open-minded, transparent and they will have good listening skills. This person will communicate ideas in a clear, practical and compelling manner. Further, they will balance data, personalities and conflicting interests when influencing others and recognize nuances in reading others. Finally, this person possesses a high level of integrity and character.
Team Participation: The successful candidate will be able to collaborate with a high degree of emotional intelligence who respects people. He / She will have an inclusive style; they will build trust, frank dialogue and respect, and foster teamwork.
Language Skills: The successful candidate will have the ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations in English. Candidate must demonstrate ability to write reports, business correspondence, policies and procedures, as well as effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of associates, senior leaders, customers, and suppliers.
Mathematical Skills: The successful candidate must demonstrate the ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals, as well as have ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to create and interpret graphs.
Reasoning Ability: The successful candidate must demonstrate the ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. The successful candidate must demonstrate ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Certificates, Licenses, and Registrations: Valid driver’s license. Certifications in Food Safety, HACCP, PCQI, Seafood HACCP
Other Skills and Abilities: Ability to use a personal computer and office communication equipment.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
This position is located at the corporate office in Houston, TX. In order to fulfill management responsibilities, candidates must be able to travel to Sysco Operating Companies, regulatory meetings and industry conferences. The work requires the following physical activities: sitting, finger dexterity for activities such as data entry, speaking, hearing, visual acuity, and mobility between departments. Work may require bending, stooping, squatting, kneeling, and crouching; extensive telephone work; ability to receive detailed information through both verbal and written communication, ability to express or exchange ideas by means of the spoken word; ability to lift up to 50 lbs. Use of both hands is required. The work is performed primarily indoors. Occasionally some work may be performed for short periods in temperature controlled warehouse environments (freezer, cooler, and exterior environments).
The work environment characteristics and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Plant audits/inspections and working at remote in-transit warehouses and Sysco Operating Companies contain both moderate/loud noise and exposure to fumes and mechanical hazards.
NOTICE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of the environment and level of work being performed by this job. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only tasks to be performed by the associate in this job. He or she will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other job related duties requested by his or her supervisor. This job description supersedes prior job descriptions.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States.
Sysco is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer, and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected factor under federal, state or local law.
This opportunity is available through Sysco Corporation, its subsidiaries and affiliates.Employment Type: Full Time