Director of Transportation
Company: Sysco South RDC
Zip Code: 32615
Minimum Level of Education: High School or Equivalent
Minimum Years of Experience: 3
Travel Percentage: Up to 25%
More information about this job:
YOU MUST APPLY AT BAUGHSE.SYSCO.COM
Directs the daily activities of the RDC Transportation Department to ensure on-time delivery of RDC outbound shipments to the OPCOs or other RDC customers. Supports the RDC Transportation department in all aspects so as to provide seamless coverage in the event of staffing absences (planned or unplanned). Provides customer service support to the OPCOs, the carrier community (dedicated, contract and 1 way) providing outbound service from the RDC, and to various departments within the Sysco organization.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Monitors vendor performance, providing planning volumes and schedules for 3PL equipment and staffing requirements and reviews current practices versus potential to improve transportation performance.
- Manages and ensures compliance to dedicated carrier contracts and maintains relationship and OPCO service level expectations with contract carriers, dedicated carriers and 1 way carriers
- Provide a daily backhaul plan for the dedicated fleet to mitigate empty miles while balancing the inbound volumes for the RDC warehouse.
- Communicate daily with the dedicated carrier management team for daily status and the execution of deliveries and backhauls.
- Manage Chep or other pallet inventory levels, tracking and verification processes to insure adequate inventory levels to support the RDC warehouse operations and maintain accurate inventory counts.
- Manages a proactive track and trace process to insure all shipments are delivered in a timely manner and provide track and trace information to the OPCO customers in a timely manner. Suggest improvements to current processes to enhance the communication to OPCO customers.
- Provides transportation support and assistance to customers as needed.
- Provides backup assistance to monitor yard spotter
- Manage & measure trailer and driver check in and check out process accuracy for the facility. As backup, may perform yard checks as needed to ensure accuracy of trailer counts, locations and temperature setting.
- For all RDC locations: Review carrier claims for shortage, damage or temperature abuse, file with the appropriate party and monitor payment status. Provide an update on open carrier claims on a monthly basis. Escalate issues to management and/or Sysco Corporate Claims Manager for assistance in resolution to prevent loss of product or recovery of funds.
- Implements transition plans in support of a projected changing business model migrating from forecasted volumes to delivery to the end customer. Contributes to the development of service contingencies to support the delivery process.
- Manages the activities of inbound rail scheduling to the RDC, to include tracking, reporting, coordination with RDC Operations on the daily schedule, and serving as the primary on-site contact/liason between the RDC and the local railroad (CSX)
- Responds to all detention claims to the RDC, providing arrival and departure times for all modes of inbound transport.
- Manages an effective transportation information reporting system; insures the accurate and timely preparation, processing, distribution and retention of all necessary reports and records regarding transportation operations. Develops additional enhanced reports based on executive management requirements or customer needs.
- Interfaces with operations to resolve any issues associated with scheduling and dispatching.
- Effectively communicates with associates, customers, and carriers in person, via PC or in person to accomplish necessary objectives.
- Monitors all locally controlled system parameters and configurations required to facilitate the RDC business processes and identify targeted enhancements.
- Assists in resolving any system issues that may arise in daily processing.
- Manages process of incorporating software upgrades to mitigate any impact to RDC processing.
- Mitigates any expected delivery impacts and prepares reports for senior management detailing service failures.
- Communicates daily with merchandisers, warehouse management, vendors, carrier claims manager, concerning receiving and shipping activities.
- Monitors compliance by all transportation vendors to documented guidelines procedures and transportation practices.
- Must be able to back up the RDC Outbound Planner in all of their duties.
- Will comply with all the Food Safety policies and procedures as directed by the Food Safety Committee and Food Safety regulations.
- Other duties as assigned.
Responsible for supervising RDC Outbound Transportation personnel.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be 18 years of age.
- Must pass a functional capacity test.
YOU MUST APPLY AT BAUGHSE.SYSCO.COM
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
High School Graduate or GED required. Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year College or university preferred; three to five years warehouse related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Fork lift certification (or the ability to become certified) is required.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to effectively present information to a large audience and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, and customers.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, distance and volume.
Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems. Ability to deal with nonverbal symbolism (formulas, scientific equations, graphs, etc.). Ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Past managerial and dispatch or routing experience helpful.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITIONS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, climb ladder or stairs use hands to operate tool computer keyboard, mouse, and telephone keyboard to talk and hear. The associate frequently is required to use hands, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The associate is occasionally required to sit; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The associate must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an associate encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the associate is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and extreme cold or heat (cooler and freezer temperatures) including temperatures of -3 degrees. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
This is a full-time position.
The incumbent must have the ability to work a varying schedule which might include shift work (days or nights), weekdays or weekends, and some holidays.
Work hours may vary or change based on departmental requirements.
YOU MUST APPLY AT BAUGHSE.SYSCO.COM
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States.
Sysco is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer, and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected factor under federal, state or local law.
This opportunity is available through Sysco Corporation, its subsidiaries and affiliates.Employment Type: Full Time