Regional Dir, Food Safety
Company: BSCC Corporate
Zip Code: 77077
Minimum Level of Education: High School or Equivalent
Minimum Years of Experience: 10 +
Position Type: Exempt
Travel Percentage: Up to 75%
More information about this job:
At Sysco, we offer our associates the opportunity to grow personally and professionally, to contribute to the success of a dynamic organization, and to serve others in a manner that exceeds their expectations. We are looking for talented, hard-working individuals to join our team. Come grow with us and let us show you why good things really do come from Sysco.
SUMMARY OF JOB PURPOSE:
The Regional Food Safety and Quality Assurance (FSQA) Director is responsible for providing overall leadership, direction and oversight for Corporate Food Safety and Quality Assurance Programs across the Sysco Specialty Meat Group (SSMG) within an assigned region. This position supports the design, development and implementation of a comprehensive, risk based food safety system for the Sysco Specialty Meat Group segment. The Regional Food Safety and Quality Assurance Director will oversee and manage the implementation of the expectations, policies, procedures, programs and training components of the food safety system system including high level governmental regulatory agency interactions with CFIA, FDA, FSIS or other agencies as needed in their region. This position will develop, coach, train, and evaluate performance of FSQA personnel in the SSMG complex in their region. This position is also responsible to support establishment, tracking and communicating the FSQA KPIs with in the SSMG and working with them to seek continuous improvement in KPIs. This position manages SMCG strategy to mitigate risk through programs that provide safe food to customers, and ensures compliance with all applicable food regulations. This role frequently partners with Corporate, market, regional and local leadership in Operations, Merchandising, Finance, Sales, HR, Safety, as well as customers, and supplier personnel to provide food safety guidance and subject matter expertise.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Direct Food Safety Coordinator Associates
- Directly lead, manage, train, coach, and evaluate performance of Food Safety and Quality Assurance associates within the SSMG complex including regulatory interactions with CFIA/FSIS/FDA/State and Local agencies for a specified region
- Support determination and implementation of associate Key Food Performance Indicators (KPIs). Monitor adherence, track and communicate progress frequently
Oversee Food Safety and Quality Assurance Policies, Procedures, and Training
- Develop and manage overall implementation of standardized food safety and quality assurance policies and procedures to ensure compliance with applicable regulatory requirements (Federal, State/Provincial, and Local) including direct communications with lead agency personnel within their region when indicated.
- Create, maintain, and execute training content relevant to Food Safety and Quality Assurance
- Provide oversight to Food Safety and Quality Assurance personnel in the SSMG complex in their region, in an effort to implement and manage compliance with Sysco Food Safety and Quality Assurance Programs
- Completes formal Food Safety and Quality Assurance Program reassessment on an annual basis or upon any food safety or quality system change and/or regulation that would mandate reassessment. Work with Food Safety and Quality Assurance personnel in the SSMG complex in their region communicate changes to SSMG stakeholders and others as necessary
- Establish tools and reporting metrics for Key Food Safety and Quality Assurance Performance Indicators (KPIs) to demonstrate compliance with Sysco’s Food Safety and Quality Assurance programs.
- Manage process improvement initiatives to further mitigate Sysco’s food safety risks and to differentiate Sysco from its competitors
- Provide food safety and quality assurance guidance and direction to SSMG, customers, and suppliers as needed
- Collaborate with other distribution centers in their region as well as other functions within Sysco to ensure food safety preventive controls are consistently implemented
- Provide food safety and quality assurance guidance and direction to Food Safety and Quality Assurance personnel in the SSMG complex within their region on internal and external audits or regulatory inspections as needed. Provide feedback on action plans for non-conformance
Maintain Internal and External Food Safety Relations
- Establish and maintain on-going relationships with customers and respond to issues as required
- Work with Multi Unit Account (MUA) customers and SSMG stakeholders to evaluate and respond to customer driven requests.
- Maintain effective working relationships with regulatory authorities, industry trade groups, suppliers, owned companies, internal stakeholders and customers
REQUIRED MINIMUM EDUCATION:
High School Diploma or equivalent; Bachelor’s degree in Food Science, Animal Science or Biological Science with a minimum of five years of experience leading FSQA in CFIA/FDA/USDA Meat and/or Seafood Processing Operations, Quality Assurance/Control, Supplier Production/Operations, or related discipline. Ten years of comparable work experience leading a multi-person team in FSQA functions in a meat and/or seafood processing operation will be accepted for non-degreed candidates.
- Minimum five years of experience (10 for non degree candidates) leading Food Safety and Quality Assurance/Control within a CFIA/FDA/USDA Meat and/or Seafood Processing.
- Good understanding of Food Safety regulations, laws, and best practices including those from CFIA, FDA, USDA, and other state/ local entities
- Three to Five years of experience managing FSQA interactions with CFIA/FSIS/FDA personnel on regulatory matters at the local level
- Five years of experience managing FSQA programs in Food Processing environment involving Potentially Hazardous Foods
- Experience leading GFSI equivalent certification at a Food Production facility
- Prior recall experience/knowledge
- Knowledge of product traceability
- HACCP certification
- ServeSafe certification preferred
- Knowledge of food microbiology, food safety, food quality and food defense
- Minimum of three years association with Food Production/Operations
- Travel is required ~50% of time (average travel is 3-4 days out of weeks where travel is required)
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
Intrinsic Capabilities: The successful candidate will have a high-level of integrity and accountability, specifically the ability to speak and act with complete honesty and trustworthiness. He /She will be flexible and adaptable to promptly adjust to new circumstances. In addition, this person will demonstrate active curiosity with a strong focus around proactively soliciting and acting on received feedback. This person will have a very high level of executive maturity and be able to read an audience and adapt their communication and influencing style quickly and appropriately. This person will have high energy and thrive on solving complex challenges. He/She will be able to handle multiple assignments and stakeholders simultaneously, often with competing priorities.
Setting Vision, Strategy and Direction: The successful candidate will have detailed knowledge and insights into the business, including risk management performance and productivity metrics that ultimately drive results. This person will have the ability to think and act in a forward-looking manner, including the demonstrated ability to anticipate challenges and opportunities and address them in a proactive, pragmatic, fact-driven manner. He/She will be relentlessly focus on execution; holding team members fully accountable for the delivery on their commitments.
Developing and Leveraging Relationships: The successful candidate will have superior communication, customer service, relationship building and influencing skills. He /She will be open-minded, transparent and they will have exceptional listening skills. This person will communicate arguments and ideas in a clear, practical and compelling manner. Further they will balance data, personalities and conflicting interests when influencing others and recognize nuances in reading others. Finally, this person possesses the highest level of integrity and character.
Building and Leading Teams: The successful candidate will be a collaborative leader with a high degree of emotional intelligence who inspires, manages, coaches and respects people. He / She will have an inclusive style; they will build trust, frank dialogue and respect, and foster teamwork. This person will also have a clear commitment to developing key talent and building future leaders with a proven track record of such. He/She will empower team members, foster a culture of accountability, and lead associates in a matrixed environment to achieve results.
Language Skills: The successful candidate will have the ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations in English. Candidate must demonstrate ability to write reports, business correspondence, policies and procedures, as well as effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of associates, senior leaders, customers, and suppliers.
Mathematical Skills: The successful candidate must demonstrate the ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals, as well as have ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to create and interpret graphs.
Reasoning Ability: The successful candidate must demonstrate the ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
Certificates, Licenses, and Registrations: Valid driver’s license. Certifications in Food Safety, HACCP and Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP); Basic knowledge of Food Microbiology, Food Safety, Food Defense, FSMA, FDA and USDA Regulations.
Other Skills and Abilities: Ability to use a personal computer and office communication equipment.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
This position is located at the corporate office in Houston, TX or at a SSMG location, depending on candidates. In order to fulfill regional management responsibilities, candidates must be able to travel frequently to Sysco facilities. The work requires the following physical activities: sitting, finger dexterity for activities such as data entry, speaking, hearing, visual acuity, and mobility between departments. Work may require bending, stooping, squatting, kneeling, and crouching; extensive telephone work; ability to receive detailed information through both verbal and written communication, ability to express or exchange ideas by means of the spoken word; ability to lift up to 50 lbs. Use of both hands is required. The work is performed primarily indoors. Frequent work may be performed in temperature controlled food processing environments (freezer, cooler, refrigerated processing and exterior environments).
The work environment characteristics and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Plant audits/inspections and working at remote in-transit warehouses and Sysco Operating Companies contain both moderate/loud noise and exposure to fumes and mechanical hazards.
NOTICE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of the environment and level of work being performed by this job. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only tasks to be performed by the associate in this job. He or she will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other job related duties requested by his or her supervisor. This job description supersedes prior job descriptions.
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the U.S. on a full-time basis without future employment sponsorship
- Sysco is committed to providing comprehensive retirement and benefits programs, a stock purchase plan, product purchase discounts and much more
- Background & Drug Screen. EOE.
- All hiring decisions will be made at the sole discretion of Sysco Corporate
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States.
Sysco is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer, and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected factor under federal, state or local law.
This opportunity is available through Sysco Corporation, its subsidiaries and affiliates.Employment Type: Full Time