Company: FreshPoint Charlotte
Zip Code: 28269
Minimum Level of Education: High School or Equivalent
Minimum Years of Experience: 1
Travel Percentage: Up to 25%
JOB TITLE: Transportation Manager FLSA STATUS: Exempt
GENERAL PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
The Transportation Manager is responsible for the entire daily transportation of produce and grocery items to the customer and from our vendors back to the distribution facility. Manager must be able to communicate will with all departments, coordinate equipment and drivers, and maintain a fine balance between distribution efficiency and customer service.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- The daily routing of our customer accounts in such a manner as to maximize both efficiency and customer service.
- Monitors and improves department operations – uses quality improvement processes to assess department results and lead the department management team in attaining the desired results. Leverages technology to attain cost, safety and service objectives. Holds department management staff accountable to business objectives. Conducts regular meetings to address departmental issues. Develops and implements strategic action plans to meet department and organizational goals.
- Audits department performance – Performs periodic assessments and audits in all areas to identify and address operational, safety and service issues to ensure legal and regulatory compliance. Conducts appearance audits. Follows up to ensure proper methods and procedures are being followed. Maintains strict adherence to the code of conduct and compliance programs.
- Maintains positive employee relations – Develops and maintains good working relationships with all employees. Administers and addresses employee related issues in a timely fashion including coaching, mentoring, employee development, accountability and progressive discipline in accordance with company policy when necessary. Maintaining a relationship of open communication with Human Resources specifically relating to departmental and employee issues is expected and required so as to ensure all issues are handled in accordance with company policy, practices and while abiding by all state and federal laws.
- Maintains a safe and efficient fleet operation.
- The daily coordination of product picked up on our trucks from local vendors.
- Maintain both pallet deliveries and billing.
- Daily scheduling of drivers and corresponding trucks / equipment.
- Point person for emergency transportation issues – 24 hrs. day, 7 days per week.
- Departmental staffing – driver hiring, disciplinary, and performance evaluations.
- Route setup and consolidation.
- Maintain proper documentation and log books as required by the DOT.
- Daily accountability of all vehicle post and pre-trip inspections.
- Complete payroll and turn in all documentation in timely manner.
- Assure drivers are properly trained in department policies, customer service, safety, and driving ability.
- Complete all accident and injury investigations.
- Work closely with other departments to assure customer service is provided in the most efficient method.
- Maintain valid driver’s license in the event of emergency route relief.
- Answer incoming calls from drivers regarding problems and reroute when necessary.
- Perform other duties as directed by Operations Manager.
- Adherence to attendance policy and work schedule
- Other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of this job.
- Must be computer literate with a working knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Ability to train, motivate, discipline and develop route drivers
- Strong organizational skills and ability to handle crisis situations effectively.
- Proven knowledge of current DOT regulations.
- Good communication skills
- Must be able to work with all levels within the organization
- Ability to handle multiple tasks
- Must have Class A CDL
- Routing experience required
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Secondary education preferred.
- Prior supervisory background preferred.
- AS400 experience preferred.
The Physical demands here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job. An individual should contact his or her supervisor or the human resources department if he or she believes that an accommodation is needed.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands and fingers, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms, and sit for extended periods and perform repetitive movements in wrists and arms on a frequent basis. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 70 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Some loading/unloading trucks is required.
Work is typically performed indoors in a climate controlled office environment at a desk or table requiring sitting, standing and stooping; and must occasionally lift and/or move up to 70 pounds. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate. The employee is occasionally exposed to congested and high traffic areas and moving mechanical parts and vehicles, including but not limited to forklifts, single pallet jacks, electric walk behind jacks, and hand carts. The employee is periodically exposed to varying climates with temperatures ranging from zero to ninety-five degrees Fahrenheit.
This Job Description is not an employment contract. The company reserves the right to change the job description and the job duties at any time without notice. I certify that I understand the job description, I possess the above qualifications, and that I can perform each of the above functions with or without an accommodation.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States.
Sysco is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer, and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected factor under federal, state or local law.
This opportunity is available through Sysco Corporation, its subsidiaries and affiliates.Employment Type: Full Time