Director of Purchasing
Company: Newport Meat Southern California
Zip Code: 92606
Minimum Level of Education: Bachelor's Degree
Minimum Years of Experience: 5
Travel Percentage: Up to 25%
More information about this job:
Newport Meat Southern California
Brief role description
- Responsible for overall performance and management of the Purchasing department which includes but is not limited to: customer order fulfillment, inventory management with intent to maintain lowest possible DSO, purchasing activities that enhance profitability (supplier rebates and overall gross margin), support sales growth, logistics, assist in achieving warehouse operations efficiencies as it relates to inbound product, management and directing/developing department staff
- Manages Newport total product assortment to meet sales demands
Primary areas of responsibility
- Direct local merchandising and supplier resources
- Drive Newport results based on company needs and support sales initiatives
- Negotiate and manage our private label programs in all categories
- Grow company gross margins and earned income while achieving company sales and operational efficiency targets
- Manage shrink and approve credits as needed
- Program development management
- Run end of day processes; daily purchase transaction register and update.
- Sign off daily on purchasing and transfer packages
- Manage the purchasing and merchandising of products in effort to enhance customer satisfaction and profitability
- Perform supplier reviews to evaluate overall vendor performance
- Monitor commodity protein market trends and to create market news letter
- Will also manage a key product category
- Maintains associate relations through regular department meetings; maintain on-going interaction; keep open communication channels with associates by answering questions and explaining policies and procedures; monitor associate morale; and respond to ideas and implement to improve associate engagement and enablement
Bachelor's degree from a 4 year college or university preferred
- Five years foodservice management in foodservice distribution
- Related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in planning marketing strategies, and successful customer interactions
- Preferred protein industry experience.
- Ability to build high performing teams and enable best practice sharing and support culture
- Ability to manage conflict and reach quick resolutions with facts and dialog
- Ability to build relationships across the organization and communicate with individuals of different backgrounds in an effective manner
- Adapts to changes in the work environment and helps to enable team members adapt to changes as well
- Proactive attitude to highlight and address issues as they arise
- Scope: Manages a team of 4 Buyers.
- Strong Excel skills preferred
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States.
Sysco is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer, and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected factor under federal, state or local law.
This opportunity is available through Sysco Corporation, its subsidiaries and affiliates.Employment Type: Full Time