Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Food Safety Manager
Sysco Associate Apply - Click Here
Company: Sysco Philadelphia
Zip Code: 19148
Minimum Level of Education: Associate's degree
Minimum Years of Experience: 5
Position Type: Exempt
Travel Percentage: Up to 25%
More information about this job:
At Sysco, we offer our associates the opportunity to grow personally and professionally, to contribute to the success of a dynamic organization, and to serve others in a manner that exceeds their expectations. We are looking for talented, hard-working individuals to join our team. Come grow with us and let us show you why good things really do come from Sysco.
The Food Safety Program Manager is responsible for providing proactive leadership and instruction in the area of Food Safety within the Operating Company. This position drives corporate food safety strategy at the local level to mitigate food safety risk through implementation of the field level risk based food safety preventive controls program for the Distribution segment within an assigned Sysco Operating Company.
The Food Safety Program Manager oversees the implementation of the requirements, policies, procedures, programs and training components of the food safety system. This position serves as the lead for product recall communications, regulatory inspections, Global Food Safety Initiative audits, and for interaction with customers on issues related to food safety.
The Food Safety Program Manager facilitates the document control program and reporting for system usage. This position is also responsible for support tracking and communicating the Food Safety Key Performance Indicators and working with Operating Company stakeholders to seek continuous improvement in KPIs.This role frequently partners with stakeholders from Operations, Merchandising, Finance, Sales, and HR/Safety to provide food safety leadership and subject matter expertise.
- Execute all corporate food safety related strategies, policies and procedures; maintain open communication with all related departments to address the identification of food safety hazards and process improvement opportunities
- Manage HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points) plan and pre-requisite programs.
- Ensure compliance with applicable food safety regulatory requirements (Federal, State/Provincial and, Local)
- Use the LiveLink system to collect, maintain, and update corporate standard operating procedures, policies, and templates for all Food Safety related records used by Operating Company associates
- Handle and oversee the product recall process to ensure timely communication and execution of product recalls and completion of related documentation
- Manage Sysco’s participation in Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI), audits by BRC, independent third parties, customers, internal, and regulatory entities. Analyze results and gather corrective action plans for audit non-conformance. Review final results with Regional Food Safety Quality Manager
- Conduct food safety observations of key associates performing food safety activities
- Routinely audit food safety practices to objectively evaluate performance and provide feedback to other personnel as necessary to ensure compliance with Preventive Controls Program and any Regulatory requirements (federal, state/provincial, and local)
- Perform analysis and prepare reporting to evaluate Operating Company Food Safety compliance and overall performance against KPIs
- Deliver and track program training for all associates and supervisors with direct Food Safety program responsibilities
- Implement and manage compliance with the Sysco Supplier Approval program for non-branded suppliers
- Serve as the Food Safety customer lead at the Operating Company
- Verify the Food Safety capabilities, Food Safe conditions and execution of food safety procedures of any potential third party warehouses that are intended to be used for over-flow storage. Routinely audit ongoing food safe conditions as well as operational food safety practices of all approved over-flow food storage warehouses.
- Follow-up promptly and thoroughly on food safety complaints from customers. Effectively communicate resolutions to internal and external stakeholders as needed
- Collaborate with Corporate Regional Food Safety Manager to complete Food Safety Program reassessments; communicate changes to Operating Company stakeholders and others as necessary
- Maintain effective working relationships with regulatory authorities, industry trade groups, suppliers, owned companies, internal stakeholders, and customers
- Complete other essential job functions as assigned.
Education and / or Experience:
- Preference will be given to candidates with a Bachelor’s degree (Food Science, Animal Science, Biological Science or related)
- In lieu of a Bachelor’s Degree, a combination of education and experience may be considered, provided that the candidate has demonstrated technical proficiency in the areas of food safety, food microbiology, food chemistry, animal science, biology, food defense, bacteriology, food processing technologies, and food regulations & policy.
- Associates Degree Required or equivalent Sysco related experience.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in Distribution Center Food Service Operations, Quality Assurance/Control, Research & Development, Food Production/Operations, Supply Chain, or related discipline
- Knowledge of product traceability
- Understanding of Food Safety regulations, laws, and best practices including those from FDA, USDA, CFIA, and other state/provincial/ local entities
- Basic knowledge of food microbiology, food safety, and food defense
- Supervisory experience preferred
Intrinsic Capabilities: The successful candidate will be comfortable working independently with minimal oversight. He/She will have a high- level of integrity and accountability, specifically the ability to speak and act with complete honesty and trustworthiness. He/She will be flexible and adaptable to adjust quickly to new circumstances. In addition, this person will demonstrate active curiosity with a strong focus around proactively soliciting and acting on received feedback. This person will have a very high level of maturity and be able to read an audience and adapt his/her communication and influencing style quickly and appropriately. He/She will have high energy and thrive on solving complex challenges. He/She will be able to handle multiple assignments simultaneously, often with competing priorities.
Developing and Leveraging Relationships: The successful candidate will have superior communication, relationship building and influencing skills. He/She will be open-minded, transparent and they will have exceptional listening skills. This person will communicate ideas in a clear, practical and compelling manner. Further they will balance data, personalities, and conflicting interests when influencing others and recognize nuances in reading others. Finally, this person will possess the highest level of integrity and character.
Language Skills: The successful candidate will have the ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations in English. Candidate must demonstrate ability to write reports, business correspondence, policies and procedures, as well as effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of associates, managers, customers, and suppliers.
Mathematical Skills: The successful candidate must demonstrate the ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals, as well as have ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to create and interpret graphs.
Reasoning Ability: The successful candidate must demonstrate the ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
Other Skills and Abilities: Ability to use a personal computer and office communication equipment.
Certificates, Licenses and Registrations:
- HACCP and ServeSafe certification preferred
- Valid driver’s license. Certifications in Food Safety, HACCP and Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this j
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States.
Sysco is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer, and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected factor under federal, state or local law.
This opportunity is available through Sysco Corporation, its subsidiaries and affiliates.Employment Type: Full Time