Occupational Health Nurse Manager
Company: Sysco Central Texas
Location: US-TX-New Braunfels
Zip Code: 78132
Minimum Level of Education: Associate's degree
Minimum Years of Experience: 5
Position Type: Exempt
Travel Percentage: Up to 25%
More information about this job:
At Sysco, we offer our associates the opportunity to grow personally and professionally, to contribute to the success of a dynamic organization, and to serve others in a manner that exceeds their expectations. We are looking for talented, hard-working individuals to join our team. Come grow with us and let us show you why good things really do come from Sysco.
This Operating Company (OpCo) based position will establish and lead the planning, directing, administering and evaluating of Occupational Health Services to ensure a safe, healthy and accident-free work environment. The Occupational Health Nurse works closely with the Operations, Human Resources, Safety and Finance departments in support of Sysco’s overall Health, Safety and Environmental (HSE) goals and objectives.
- Establish and manage an onsite health service clinic.
- Research, plan and produce annualized budgetary projections for the required supplies, equipment, professional services, training, continued education and certifications travel, etc.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures in compliance with local, state, and federal regulatory healthcare requirements, Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) rules and regulations, Department of Transportation regulations and other regulatory agencies as applicable.
- Ensure OSHA mandated programs and record keeping standards are completed to comply with regulations.
- Ensure regulatory compliance with State Nurse Practice Act, FMLA, ADA, STD, LTD, EPA, and HIPPA as required.
- Manage the Drug Testing Program (DOT & Non-DOT). Collects drug screen specimens according to National Institute of Drug Abuse (NIDA) guidelines. Perform Breath Alcohol testing.
- Plan and implement programs to train managers and associates in Bloodborne Pathogens, Body Mechanics, Ergonomics, Reasonable Suspicion of Drugs/Alcohol Awareness, Breath Alcohol Testing, Drug Screen (DOT and Non-DOT) Collection, Medical Emergency Response Team and other Occupational Health topics as necessary.
- Perform clinical services and direct nursing care, consistent with scope of State Nurse Practice Acts for both occupational and non- occupational injury/illness.
- Deliver services to maintain safe and healthy workforce; participate as a first responder to onsite accidents/injuries and oversee the onsite Medical Emergency Response Team (MERT).
- Practice case management through coordination of health care services from onset of work-related injury evaluation, through worker’s compensation injury/risk/claim management, disability and absence management, return-to-work evaluation and return to work or an optimal alternative.
- Compile and submit injury and accident reports required by corporate and regulatory agencies.
- Oversee the administration of occupational injury program, including working with the external healthcare providers, insurance carrier or third party administrator to reduce employee lost time and contain costs.
- Manage transitional duty program for medical conditions requiring specific work restrictions.
- Collaborate in disaster response with Pandemic Plan, Emergency Response Plan, Business Continuity Plan, and disaster planning and risk communication.
- Plan, develop and implement health and wellness (well-being) promotion programs for associates, i.e., Flu Clinic program for associates and family members, health fairs, and chronic disease management programs.
- Participate as a member of facility’s Safety Committee and any other requested Committees.
- Manage the health components of the onsite Fitness Center (where applicable).
- Perform as a key business partner in areas such as quality improvement procedures/protocols, cost containment programs, community involvement, policies/procedures to ensure compliance and return on investment analysis.
- Prepare reports and maintain associate health files in a confidential HIPPA compliance manner and other duties as required.
Education and / or Experience:
- Associate Degree in Nursing required or Bachelors Degree in Nursing preferred.
- Licensed Registered Nurse in the State of Practice where OpCo facility resides.
- Five years nursing experience (emergency or critical care experience a plus) with at least one year having served in an occupational health role.
- Work experience in a warehouse, distribution or manufacturing environment preferred.
- Previous experience in Safety and Workers’ Compensation laws and regulations in the state where the OpCo resides preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to interact effectively with all levels of management.
- Skilled in the use of a variety of PC software, including all Microsoft products.
- Proficient project management and decision making skills.
- Excellent communication, negotiation, conflict management and analytical skills.
- Must have ability to work flexible hours for the performance of regular duties (random drug testing, training, etc.) and to respond to associate health needs (assess injuries and/or report to accident sites, post-accident drug screens, etc.) day, night or weekend.
- Bi-Lingual in English and Spanish a plus
Certificates, Licenses and Registrations:
- ABOHN Certified Occupational Health Nurse (COHN or COHN-S)
- Certification in Case Management by ABOHN or CCMC
- First Aid, AED, and CPR Certification
- DOT Drug Screen Collector Certification
- Breath Alcohol Technician Certification
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
- The ability to sit, stand, walk and use hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and telephone to talk and hear.
- The ability to frequently sit and reach with hands and arms.
- The ability to occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by associates within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of associates assigned to this job.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job.
- Must be able to do limited travel to Sysco facilities or operating companies.
- Must be able to utilize office equipment such as desktop/notebook computers, copiers, printers, scanners, telephones, and calculators.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Must be able to work in various indoor, outdoor, freezer and cooler climates and driving conditions for a 24 hours, 7 days a week operation.
- Must work with all employees having a wide variety of illnesses, injuries, infections and any and all other maladies; medical or mental within scope of practice.
NOTICE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of the environment and level of work being performed by this job. This job description in no way states or implies that the duties and responsibilities listed are the only tasks to be performed by the employee in this job. The employee will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other job related duties requested by his or her supervisor.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This job description supersedes prior job descrip
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States.
Sysco is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer, and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected factor under federal, state or local law.
This opportunity is available through Sysco Corporation, its subsidiaries and affiliates.Employment Type: Full Time